brewing

when i was in my late teens arund 18 i started to get into making my own beer and wine some of it was very good then some ofit was just chucked down the sink as it didnt turn out very well, one of my 2 regular brews were a white wine from a kit and a larger which was also from a kit

they made a very nice easy drink not to strong but good enugh to get drunk on, after getting used to making these 2 brews i made the larger a bit stronger, the larger was 4% proff but i wanted a beer around 8% well 1st attempt was chucked down the drain as it didnt work reason why was cos i added more sugar and yeast but i didnt leave it long enugh to fermet,

so 2nd attempt to make 8% proff larger i left it to fermet longer and it turned out great looked like a pint of carling a nice crisp head even tho it was a 8% larger it tasted a 4% larger and was a big hit with me mates as ive tryed other larger at 8% and its tasted horrid but this was very nice
so i made this on a regular basis i made around 40pints at a go so had plently in stock

other things i made was wine that was a bit hit and miss at first but i got there in the end i regulary made apricot wine and plum wine as well i had a go at making red but never got me head round it, my dads garden shed was a right proper brew house regulary me mates came round for a beer as i had electric i fitted the shed with a telly and radio had a parifin heater and had many hours with me mates in the shed getting drunk and it cost me hardly sod all in the end,

i did get in to making vodka and brandy one of my fav sprits i made was cheery vodka i remember taking some home made cheery vodka with me on a holiday with some chatroom mates and lets say it finished the night off very nicely as we had around a 12 hour bender and got back to the cottage and 3 of us who hadnt passed out starte on my cheery vodka

regarding bbc's comments about making your own brew think its best just go forit start with the kit form then read a couple of books about it and you can't far go wrong the main thing is the fermentation period is to matain a regular tempture

4 comments:

DILLIGAF said...

ahhhhh...memories are made of this.

Made a great lager myself...used bottles as I found lager doesn't always like the keg in homebrewing.

Added a touch too much sugar once for the second fermentation and, as Caz opened the shed to get out a garden fork, two bottle exploded showering her in glass and lager....so ended my homebrewing...happy memories....

BBC said...

I think maybe I put too much yeast in my mash experiment and maybe too much sugar, and maybe created a monster, so if you notice something oozing under your door this evening……

You should be able to scoop it up and distill it into apple brandy, ha ha ha.

BBC said...

Consistent temperature. Any particular range? Seems like I read around 70 degrees.

farmer dave said...

around that i cant remember off hand but it could be between 60 and 70 i think