car

was reading a post on a friends blog about his car and thoght ill make a post about my car and driving, my dad said when i was aproaching 17 that i should do my driving test even tho i might not have a car right away it will come in usefull plus the driving test will become much harder,


so i went in for driving lessons and passed my test on my 3rd try, i didnt have a car right away i didnt have a car till i was 24, but i had the use of my dads car in the evenings and weekend and my job was within cycle distance so i didnt need all the expense of having one at the time,



my 1st car was a astra mk2 h reg 1992 was a great car had electric windows central locking and electric wing mirrors and a sunrove and even a electric areal that lasted me 4 years drove it round the uk very often did many happy a mile in the old battle wagon it started to cost me a lot of money towards the end of its life and the last year of me owning it the cambelt went and it involved me and me dad doing a rebuild of the engin and lasted another 6 months before i got my next car



well i got myself a p reg top of the range mondeo great car was my pride and joy i did all the little jobs on it fixed the electric window restored the paint work sorted the rear arches which the last owner made a good and proper bodge job off the car looked showroom condition the chap who i brought it from asked to buy it back cos i made such a good job of it, i had a nice loud sound system in the car and that lasted a year



the car was a badun from the start, 4 weeks from owning it i was waiting to pull off from a island and a lady driver smashed into me from behind, 8 months later i i was driving down to cornwall for a camping trip with a mate and had a bit of a prang, the car was a write off think me dad was more gutted than me about that car as he drove my car in the evenings that was the end of that









so after i had my prang in my modeo which i loved i didnt have a car for a little while as i had to save up for a car about 7 months later i got this little gem as from my pic you can see its a x reg laguna 2 liter a nice beast i had one or 2 teething problems but luckly it was under 3 months warranty so it cost nothing good thing realy as my clutch went and the water punp and fan belt went





but the guy at the garage was good enough to fix the car no quesitons and its run like a dream i gsave it a major service back in may i changed the breaks, the front right break pipe and a break vavle which was leaking cost me all in all 60 quid including the breaks vavle and spark plugs and what ever for the service bit, and the car runs great i can when iam brave enogh travel at 120mph with no problems i dont do that very often once and a while even at 120mph its still got a bit of go in it, once got it to 135mph before i ran out of room on the road and even then the beast still had go in it i would love to get the car on a race track one day and see how much i can get out of the beast,



but there is nothing wrong with the car what so ever the car dont look as gleaming like that on the pic at the moment it needs a good wash and polish and will look good as ever and yeah i have got a good sound system in the car as i do like me music,





as iam into my cars as a project i would love one of these great beasts a ford granada 2.8 ghia x to restore what a beast all the gagits in it for the age of the car its better than mine i have now one day when i have room for a 2nd car ill own one iam sure i will,

3 comments:

DILLIGAF said...

On the plus side you never had a Skoda!!!...;-)

Great post old bean. Enjoyed the history of FD's motors.

Our first after we wed was an old Citroen with a running board at the side and big bulbous headlights.

Bloody thing wouldn't start if the temp went under 60 degrees.

I loved that old car you know.

Oddly enough we've stuck with Citroen ever since.....

BBC said...

Back when this old fart got his first drivers license there was such a thing as a drivers test. Our parents and friends taught us how to drive, there wasn't driver training, not where I was in the sticks anyway.

My first car, other than an old Austin Bantum we had to mess with as young teens, was a tired 1950 Ford.

One of my favorite cars over the years was a 1964 Chrysler 300 convertible. And race cars of course

But I've gotten over all that stuff and anymore just get what I need at a good price and drive it until it's ready for a wrecking yard.

I suppose my Dodge Dakota pickup will last me the rest of my driving days. And I like the bucket seats that Rick gave me that I put in it a few months ago.

farmer dave said...

i would like to drive one of those american cars and one day i might have a holiday to america and have a drive of one

and for a skoda i nearly brought one but when i found the insurance i thoght not a chance and the 3 cars ive had been all differen makes and modles but one day ill own my dream car